Friday, January 11, 2008

A Short but Sweet Life

This past week has been an interesting one for me, emotionally. Last Friday our community suffered the loss of a 13yr old girl who was killed in an avalanche. Whenever I hear about someone killed in an avalanche, I get a knot in my throat and my heart just drops to the ground. My cousin, Becky, was killed in an avalanche in 2001 at the ripe old age of 30. This girl, Emily, was 13. Thirteen!!! I didn't know this girl, or her family, but I share many friends with them. I know Emily played softball with my niece. It just wounds me to the core to know there is a family nearby who is suffering what I saw my aunt and uncle suffering, what our extended family suffered. Just brings tears to my eyes. This is the link to the news story. In it they show a wall dedicated to Emily with notes from her friends. I have stood at this wall. It's incredibly moving. She was obviously a popular girl who touched many people in a short but sweet life. Rest In Peace, sweet girl! You are in good hands now.






I've been sort of in a stamping funk, which is partly why I haven't updated anything here. Plus, what I HAVE created has been design team stuff so I can't share it YET. Are you as excited for the upcoming Elzybells release as I am? I can't wait! Sneak peeks start on Monday. I'm chompin at the bit! Be sure to hit the Elzybells Blog on the 18th to purchase these new stamps. You can keep an eye out on the various A Muse and Elzybells Designers and Instructors blogs for sneak peeks. Even the A Muse Designers and Instructors couldn't keep their hands off these cuties! haha. Since I can't share any of the new designs with you, I will share this new Valentine card I created. I stamped 3 of the 'flowers' in black ink, then colored them in with a red marker, then 2 of them in a gray ink and colored them in with a pink marker. I wanted the pink 'flowers' to appear to be behind the red ones. Did it work? I also colored the red 'flowers' with my Spica atyou Red Glitter Pen. I hand-drew the stems using two different colors of green marker. The ribbon is a fabulous Target $1 spot find. I can't believe I actually used it instead of hoarding it! LOL! I don't know if you can see it but I also used a light pink micro twinkle dot in the center of the flower on the 'Love Blooms' sentiment.


Now this second card was made with a stamp I borrowed from my friend Cindy. It's by Stampendous and it's called Agapanthus Cluster. I knew I wanted to use it on some sort of Kraft cardstock so I used some SU Confetti Tan, layered it on SU Really Rust and SU Basic Black. The patterned papers are from my stash. They are by Jenni Bowlin Studio. I picked it up from my LSS. I knew they would be perfect for this. I added a little bling with my Spica atyou Black Glitter Pen on the main flower in the middle, and some clear micro dot twinkle stickers from A Muse.
I have a busy weekend ahead of me. My husband and I are working on remodeling our living/dining room and tiling over our ugly brick fireplace. Hopefully I'll have some before and after pics to show soon! Plus, the Seahawks are playing Green Bay tomorrow in their 2nd playoff game. GO HAWKS!!!!

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

I'm so sorry to hear that sad story Novell. You're such a sweet, caring person.

These cards are both so beautiful! Thanks for sharing.