Monday, November 26, 2007

Accidents do happen


Well, I had a great holiday weekend until yesterday. I had a Stampin Up party at my house which was just getting underway when my husband called to say he had been rear ended right in front of his mother's house. One of his sisters called a few minutes later and said I'd better get down there because the aid car was on the way and they think my youngest son was hurt. I left everyone at my house to continue the party without me and zipped down to my MIL's house. She lives right off a very busy main road so I'm not at all surprised that an accident like this happened. Basically, he was stopped and waiting to turn into her driveway. Several cars in the opposite direction had passed him when he got rear-ended. That pushed him into oncoming traffic and into an oncoming car. Luckily my husband drives a big truck because I'm sure it saved them from serious injury. He was carried out on a stretcher, strapped to a board with a neck brace on due to his previous issues with his neck (he had surgery 2yrs ago). Once they got the area under control and I talked with the police officers I took my youngest son to the hospital with me to be checked out and to check on my husband. After 2hrs of being strapped to the board, hanging out in the middle of the hallway, then Xrays and a CT scan, they have determined he has whiplash. I'm actually thankful for this because it could have been so much worse. My youngest is okay, too. Just a bit of whiplash for him but nothing too bad. He bumped the back of his head when his head flung back against the back window of the truck. We were also lucky that it happened right in front of his mom's house because they got to him quickly and were able to hang onto the kids and help calm them until I arrived. The youngest one won't admit to being scared but he did say "What if Dad dies?" I had to tell him that it looks much scarier than it really is because they just have to be careful of his neck since he had surgery before. Poor little guy....
Anyway, we were at the hospital for several hours due to the backup of people there. It was crazy! People laying on stretchers in the middle of the hallway for a long time. The picture is of the car that rear-ended my husband. I took it with my cell phone, standing in my MIL's driveway. Yikes! As far as I could tell, that driver was okay with just a bandaged hand. The driver of the car my husband got pushed into also appeared to be okay. Thank goodness! Now to deal with the insurance mess and to call Chevy since the driver's airbag did not deploy at all. Our truck is only about 3-4 mos old.
Wear your seatbelts, everyone, and keep your kids in their carseats!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG! Novell - I'm so glad to hear your family was not drastically hurt in this accident! What an awful phone call for a wife/mother to receive.

Nancy said...

How scary!! I'm so glad to hear that everyone made it through this without any serious injuries! I'm thinking of you & your family & wishing for speedy recoveries! Hugs to you!!

Ingrid said...

A scary reminder. Hope all continues to go smoothly with the insurance.

Tracy said...

Wow Novell! I am very glad to hear that everyone is okay. I am thinking of all of you and wishing for a speedy recovery. {{HUGS to all of you!}}

Nicole said...

Looking at this again just makes me cringe. How awful, I hope this disruption doesn't interfere too much with daily living. Your family is in my thoughts. Be well.

Rhonda said...

That looks NASTY!!!! I hope your DH and kids are still feeling ok and that the kids are not shook up about it. Big HUGS to you!!!

Leigh OBrien said...

Oh my, Novell...this story just brought a tear to my eyes. It's amazing how quickly those things can happen. I was in a rear end accident a while back on an overpass and it pushed my car up the jersey wall and almost over the car in front of me. Everyone was fine - thank goodness! But because I was hit from behind I had to do the backboard/neckbrace/stretcher thing too for a few hours. It's all crazy and terrifying. And I was over an hour from home. My MIL had to come and pick me up in another state! I'm glad that everyone was okay in your family's incident. Just makes you want to hug them all that much more closely.

Godchick said...

Wow! Thank God they were all ok!